“Back in the day”…the Arbor Cafe day, that is, R’s favorite birthday cake was one the cafe made that was cranberry-chocolate…no frosting. I took no recipes with me into the studio in 2004, but the last few years, at birthday time, there has been a certain pining for the cranberry chocolate cake, so this is the version I’ve come up with…it’s good…dense, seems to ALMOST be as good as the remembered cake…
Cranberry Chocolate Cake
preheat oven to 350…roast pecans or walnuts for 18 minutes at 350
1 2/3 c. all purpose flour 1/2 c soy milk (I used 2% regular milk)
1 1/2 c. sugar 1/2 canola oil (I used light olive oil)
3/4 c. Dutch process cocoa i c. applesauce
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans roasted
1/2 tsp salt 1 c. dried cranberries
1/2 tsp baking soda 1/2 c chocolate chips (I added these…)
1. Combine flour and the next 5 ingredients (through soda) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until mixed.
2. Combine milk, oil and applesauce, and mix…add to flour mixture stirring just until moist.
3. Stir in cranberries, chocolate chips and nuts.
4. Spray a 10 inch spring-form pan with baking spray. Batter will be very thick.
5. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Sprinkle with 1 TBLSP powdered sugar
(Everybody asked for the recipe…it lasts well if wrapped, and is nice and dense).
looks yummy and with added applesauce and cranberries, dare I say, even slightly healthy. Thanks.
our kind of cake…no frosting and tart with dark sweetness! thanks.
I bet that would be delicious with a hot cup of java! Yum.
This looks so good…Bonnie! I know I would gobble it up! I have a few questions about Salem..do you like it there? If you were new to Oregon would you want to live there or are there other areas you would consider. Our home is in escrow, southern cal and I am looking at central Oregon… Modestly priced homes.I’ve seen some in Salem..but not sure.
been looking for something special to take to the family x-mas party this weekend,
and i’m sure this will be a hit! thank you again for sharing Bonnie.
Does it travel well? 😉